On this page you will find what we think are some of the best resources on magnolias -- many of which you will find online.
One of the best ways to learn about magnolias is to join the Magnolia Society to receive our twice-yearly Magnolia: journal of the American Magnolia Society with all of the latest news on new species, cultivars, and propagation methods. Coming soon for members only, we will be making available online the entire journal archives.
Just getting started with magnolias? This "Botanical Buzz" podcast featuring San Francisco Botanical Garden docent Maggie McDowell will give you some insight into the ancient origins of magnolias.
- The world of magnolias. by Dorothy Johnson Callaway. Portland, Or. : Timber Press, c2005.
- Magnolias: a gardener's guide by James M. Gardiner, Publication: Portland, Or. : Timber Press, c2012.
- Magnolias: Their care and cultivation by James M. Gardiner. London : Cassell, c1989.
- Proceedings of the Second International Symposium on the Family Magnoliaceae, available for purchase through the Magnolia Society.
- Magnolias by Rosemary Barrett. Willowdale, Ontario, Canada ; Buffalo, N.Y. : Firefly Books, c2002.
- Magnolias: a care manual by Graham Rankin. San Diego, Calif. : Laurel Glen Pub., c1999.
Still looking for more? Check out this guide to magnolia resources from the San Francisco Botanical Garden Society.
Know of a resource not listed above? Send us a message.